Collectively and individually, the members of the Board of Directors of the Atwater Village Neighborhood Council agree to abide by a Code of Civility to ensure that our Neighborhood Council‚s business is conducted in a respectful and courteous manner, and in a way that will generate respect and credibility for our Neighborhood Council.
The freedom to express one’s views about public matters is a cornernstone of the democratic process. The Atwater Village Neighborhood Council welcomes the diverse views and opinions of our other board members and stakeholders as they relate to the issues before us. In order for these discussions to be meaningful and effective, we must treat others with respect and dignity.
By successful motion on July 8, 2004, the Atwater Village Neighborhood Council adopts this Code of Civility, which thereafter binds all board members and is to be applied and interpreted in accordance with the procedures and provisions of the Atwater Village Neighborhood Council bylaws.
1. I will conduct myself in a professional and civil manner at all times as a
representative of the Atwater Village Neighborhood Council.
2. I will treat each member of the board and members of the public with respect
at all times, regardless of an individual’s opinion, ethnicity, race, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, identity, age, disability, or political affiliation.
3. Even in the face of disagreement or differences of opinion, I will demonstrate
esteem and deference for my colleagues and the public.
4. Under no circumstances during Neighborhood Council meetings, functions,
events, or correspondence, will I engage in or threaten to engage in any
verbal or physical attack on any other individual.
5. I will commit to communicate my ideas and points of view clearly, and allow
others to do the same without interruption.
6. I will not use language that is abusive, threatening, obscene, or slanderous,
including using profanities, insults, or other disparaging remarks or gestures.
7. Derogatory language about an individual‚s ethnicity, race, sexuality, age,
disability, or religion is not acceptable.
8. I will take responsibility for my own actions, and will work to fulfill my role
and responsibilities as specified in the bylaws.
9. I will commit to learn the applicable laws that govern Neighborhood Councils, including bylaws, standing rules and the Brown Act, and will not
knowingly violate any of the above nor the ethics rules, city ordinances, and
the City Charter.
10. I will abide by the Neighborhood Council’s meeting procedures or rules in
order to create a safe and effective environment for conducting business.
11. I will promote and enforce a safe meeting environment at all times. At
moments when members of the public become disruptive and violate the
rules of civility that we have pledged to follow, I will join my fellow board
members in demanding that the persons conduct themselves in a respectful and orderly manner even if I agree with the point of view that is being expressed.
12. I will seek to present information truthfully and transparently, and will not
knowingly misrepresent, mischaracterize, or misquote information received
13. I pledge to truly listen to and hear other points of view.
14. I will practice the art of being able to disagree without being disagreeable.
15. If I find myself representing my personal interests before my community’s
interests, I will publicly disclose the differences and recuse myself from
voting on such matters.
16. I will commit to good faith efforts to resolve any grievances that come before the board as specified in the bylaws.
17. I owe it to my fellow board members, the public, and the decision-makers who we are trying to influence to make the best possible effort to understand the issues before me. I will “do my homework.”
18. I will not use the title, symbols or mechanisms of my position as a board member to violate this code or any rules that govern the Neighborhood Council.
© Copyright Atwater Village Neighborhood Council. All Rights Reserved.
Download: AVNC Code of Civility